RIMTEC Corporation has started full-scale sales of R-PENTAM. RIMTEC established in 2003 is a joint venture company of ZEON Corporation (1-6-2 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, President & CEO: Naozumi Furukawa) and Teijin Chemicals Ltd. (1-2-2 Uchisaiwai-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, President: Kihachiro Sano).
RIMTEC sells compounds (product names: PENTAM®), which utilize dicyclopentadiene (DCPD) as the main raw material contained in C5 fraction acquired through naphtha cracking, and also sells its molded products produced by employing Reaction Injection Molding (RIM) method. This compound is a polyolefin series thermoset material that is superior to other thermoplastic polyolefins in terms of stiffness, heat resistance, and chemical resistance properties. RIM method makes it possible to produce large-sized or complex-shaped molding products in an extremely short period of reaction time. RIM products can be seen in various fields across the world, such as for the bodies of combined septic tanks as large as three meters, body components of large trucks and tractors, and complex-shaped plastic parts for bathtubs in housing equipment.
R-PENTAM, newly launched in the market, has the following features.
(1) Improved properties such as stiffness and heat resistance as indicated below by adding inorganic natural filler to PENTAM, while ensuring the ability to customize its appearance. (compared to PENTAM)
- Twice the stiffness. (Flexural modulus is 3.7 GPa)
- Coefficient of linear expansion is reduced by half. (4.1×10-5cm/cm, K)
- Heat resistance is improved by 30°C. (Thermal deformation temperature: 128°C)
(2) R-PENTAM facilitates a simpler, more streamlined production process since it adheres to decorative materials such as acrylic cultured marble through a chemical reaction and does not require any special pretreatment or adhesives.
In addition, R-PENTAM exhibits superior adhesion stability over extended periods due to its lower linear expansion coefficient.
RIMTEC introduced R-PENTAM at the JEC Composites Show held in Paris at the beginning of April 2007 and at PLATEX Osaka at the beginning of June 2007 in Osaka, and R-PENTAM has been adopted as a material for modular bathrooms laminated with acrylic cultured marble.
RIMTEC intends to promote the application of R-PENTAM in fields that require both high stiffness and customized appearance. RIMTEC is targeting annual sales of \1.0 billion by the end of fiscal year 2010 by promoting applications into a variety of fields including housing equipment.
R-PENTAM molded material used as backing for floor drainage pans